In August 2011, I started a new job as the Assistant Director of Instructional Technology at St. Olaf College. In this position, my main responsibility is enhancing the use of academic technologies for teaching and learning in collaboration with faculty, staff, CILA, and IIT. Some of my priorities for the academic year 2011-12 are:
- learning about the teaching, learning, research, and technology integration of faculty, staff, and students via conversations and surveys
- serving as an instructional technology resource person for college/department projects and events
- developing more workshops, open labs, and one-on-one training opportunities for the St. Olaf community
- expanding online training materials by creating online documentation and Moodle sites for learning about instructional technologies,
- overseeing the IIT staff liaison program for academic departments
- starting an IIT blog and using social media sites to enhance communication with the campus community
- becoming involved in local and national instructional technology organizations and participating in conferences and other events
Previously, I taught Norwegian language and culture for over 25 years, first at the University of Minnesota, then at Augsburg College, and from 1995 to 2011 at St. Olaf College. I taught courses in beginning, intermediate, and advanced Norwegian as well as in English composition. With interests in second language pedagogy, instructional design, and online learning, I have been active in developing materials for Norwegian language learners for her entire teaching career.
- Sett i gang: Introductory Norwegian Language Curriculum. Co-authored with Kari Lie.
- KlikkNorsk: Learning Norwegian with the Click of a Mouse. Co-authored with Margaret O’Leary and Louis Janus.
- NorWords. Small business that creates materials for teachers and students of Norwegian Studies. Co-owned with Kari Lie.