Assistant Director of Instructional Technology
Information and Instructional Technology
St. Olaf College
1510 St. Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057
507-786-3550 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.A. Scandinavian Studies / Minor – Education, University of Minnesota; Minneapolis, Minnesota. Courses and major papers in Scandinavian Languages and Literature, Second Languages and Cultures Pedagogy, and ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines, 1991.
- B.A. Norwegian / B.A. English / Secondary Teaching Certification, Pacific Lutheran University; Tacoma, Washington, Summa cum laude, 1983.
- Post-Secondary Teaching Certification in Norwegian, University of Oslo; Oslo, Norway. Courses in Norwegian Literature, Language History, Phonetics, and Grammar, 1980-81.
- Assistant Director of Instructional Technology, St. Olaf College, 2011 – Present.
- Norwegian Instructor, St. Olaf College, 1995 – 2011.
- Norwegian Instructor, Augsburg College, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1986-94.
- Study Abroad Administrator for Østfold Program (part-time), 1991-94.
- Academic Advisor (part-time), 1994.
- Director of Academic Programs, Camp Norway, Sandane, Norway, Summer 1987.
- Norwegian Instructor, Camp Norway, Sandane, Norway, Summers 1984-86.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 1983-86.
- Beginning Norwegian I and II, St. Olaf College, 1996-2011, Augsburg College, 1986-94.
- Intermediate Norwegian I and II, St. Olaf College, 1996-2011, Augsburg College, 1986-94.
- Advanced Norwegian I and II, St. Olaf College, 2009, Augsburg College 1986-91.
- First Year Writing, St. Olaf College, 2010.
- Sett i gang II: An Introductory Norwegian Language Curriculum. St. Peter, MN: NorWords, 2008 (includes textbook, workbook, and glossary). Co-authored with Kari Lie.
- Sett i gang I: An Introductory Norwegian Language Curriculum. St. Peter, MN: NorWords, 2006 (includes textbook, workbook, and glossary). Co-authored with Kari Lie.
- KlikkNorsk: A Norwegian Phrase-A-Day Calendar and Grammar Reference. (CD-ROM). Skandisk, Inc. 2003. Co-authored with Margaret Hayford O’Leary and Louis Janus.
Electronic Instructional Materials
- Sett i gang I and II: Online audio materials. Available at: http://www.norwords.com, 2006-2008. Co-produced with Kari Lie.
- Norsknett Weblog: Online Resources for Teachers and Students of Norwegian Studies. Available at: http://norsknett.typepad.com, 2008-present.
- “NorWord E-mail Norwegian Lessons,” 150 lessons sent originally to 3000 subscribers in 30 different countries in 1995. Lessons are still available online and have approx. 500 annual subscribers. Sponsored by the Norwegian Teachers Association in North America (NorTANA) and the Less Commonly Taught Languages project (LCTL) at the CARLA Center, University of Minnesota.
- “Sett i gang: Getting started with on-demand printing and self-publishing — Lulu style.” Faculty seminar at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, for Lang. & Lit April, 2008 (with Kari Lie).
- “Crossing Cultural Divides: Norway as an Example.” Presentation at Employee Workshop for the USDA National Resources Conservation Service in Mankato, MN. July 2005.
- “A Mini-Course in Norwegian.” Presentation at the 50th Reunion Weekend for the Oslo International Summer School at St. Olaf College. May 2005.
- “Norwegian Language Instruction in College and Community Education Settings.” Presentation at a Teacher Seminar at the Norwegian Memorial Church in Minneapolis, MN. April 2004.
- “Sett i gang: Using Digital Materials to Incorporate Authentic Culture and Language into a Beginning Norwegian Curriculum.” Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Studies (Minneapolis, MN) May 2003.
- “Using digitized video, photos, and interactive computer exercises to incorporate authentic culture and language into Norwegian courses.” With Kari Lie. TALC presentation at St. Olaf College. October 2002.
- “Integrating Technology and Teaching.” With Margaret Hayford O’Leary. Presentation at the St. Olaf College Summer Institute. June 2000.
- “Using Technology in Foreign Language Education.” Presentation at the Multimedia Seminar sponsored by the Norwegian Teachers Association and St. Olaf College. June 1997
- “Using the World Wide Web in Norwegian Language Instruction,” With Margaret Hayford O’Leary. Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Studies. May 1996.
- “Planning the Class Hour in Scandinavian Languages” Presentation at the University of Minnesota Scandinavian Department T.A. Orientation. 1992.
- “Review of Norwegian Grammar Dictionary,” 2007. Printed in the Norwegian Teachers Newsletter.
- “Review of Norwegian textbook, Ny i Norge,” 1992. Printed in the Norwegian Teachers Newsletter.
- Board Member/Webmaster. Norwegian Teachers Association in North America. 1999-2001.
- Board Member/Secretary. Norwegian Teachers Association in North America. 1992-99.
- Webmaster for St. Olaf Lesbian and Gay Employee Network (SOLGEN). 2005-present.
- Academic Advisor. 1999-present. St. Olaf College; Northfield, Minnesota
- International Studies Committee Member. 1992-94. Augsburg College; Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Experiential Education Committee Member. 1992-93. Augsburg College; Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Norwegian Department Service
- Norwegian House Advisor. 1997-present. St. Olaf College; Northfield, Minnesota.
- Event Organizer. 1997-present. Organize weekly co-curricular events and three major annual events (Fall Picnic, Norwegian Christmas Service, 17th of May Breakfast).
- Editor of Norwegian Department Blog. 2005-present. St. Olaf College; Northfield, Minnesota.
- Student Work Supervisor. 2005-2007. St. Olaf College; Northfield, Minnesota.
- Departmental Webmaster, 2009-2010, 2002-03, 1995-98
- Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Studies. 1996-present.
- Norwegian Teachers and Researchers Association of North America. 1992-present.
- Norwegian Foreign Ministry Summer Travel Grant. $1500, 2007.
- Norwegian Foreign Ministry Summer Travel Grant. $1500, 2006.
- Sons of Norway Materials Scholarship, $1500. 2002
- TALC Summer Grant, St. Olaf College. $1500. 2002
- St. Olaf Technology Grant. $1000. 1998.
- Native proficiency in English
- Near-native proficiency in Norwegian
- Strong oral and written comprehension in Danish and Swedish
- Reading knowledge of German and Old Norse
- Webmaster and Committee Member, Reconciling in Christ Committee at First Lutheran Church, 2008-present, St. Peter, Minnesota.
- Webmaster, Habitat for Humanity. South Central Minnesota Affiliate. 2006-present. St. Peter, MN.
- Fundraising Committee Member. Habitat for Humanity. South Central Minnesota Affiliate. 2004-2006. St. Peter, Minnesota.
- Board Member, St. Peter Tennis Association. 2003-2006. St. Peter, Minnesota.
- Parent Volunteer. 1994-2008. South/North Elementary, St. Peter Middle School / High School. St. Peter, Minnesota
- Member of First Lutheran Church, 1996-present. St. Peter, Minnesota